Thursday, March 19, 2020

Just Happy Little Accidents...

Tirzah Rebecca David
I MA English
Paper: Romantic Age

“We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents”1 said Bob Ross in one of his very famous art videos. It’s interesting to note that this philosophy holds true to the process of painting, much like how it holds true to the process of creation and sustenance of life itself. Perhaps there is method in every chaos of this world.

Have you ever come across something which is completely perfect? Something flawless, extraordinary, unbelievable. Might be your favourite movie star, or the fresh, hot biryani from your favourite restaurant in town, or maybe someone you love, whose warm smile transcends any beautiful thing you've ever seen.

Although these things may seem to be the most divine to you, for another person they might be something very commonplace. Then it is safe to say that nothing is completely perfect for everybody at all times, everything in this world is flawed in some way or the other.

So what holds us together in this defective, incapable world? Is it possible that all the slip-ups contribute towards the functioning of things in a manner which although is unpredictable yet systematic?

The term “accident” often has a negative connotation, but it simply means “something that happens unexpectedly and is not planned in advance”2. It is true that human beings are used to being structured and systemized, and any deviation from the plan turns out to be the reason for great distress, especially if the outcome of such deviation leads to fatality. But is it really so bad?

In third grade when I was appearing for my annual examinations, my father turned up very late to pick me up from school after my Hindi exam. I was burning with anger, as it was already two hours since the exam was over. I was waiting all alone and breeding the idea that my father forgot I existed. When I finally saw him drive towards the gate, I’ll admit that

I was happy to see him but at the same time, I was prepared to launch my frustration-filled missiles at him because I deserved an explanation and it had to be a good one. As I approached him I could see him more tensed than I had ever seen him and with every step I took, the wrinkles on his face seemed to get deeper.

And when I reached him I opened my mouth to accuse him of not loving me enough. “Mummy met with an accident, I'm coming from the hospital, let's go.” His words left my eyes and mouth wide open, but only in a metaphorical sense of course. I acted confident and unfazed, which made him feel less nervous too I hope.

And that was probably the first time in my life I entertained the ideas of mortality, love and loss perhaps a little too seriously in my head. The journey from my school to the hospital seemed to be a never ending one. “She's alright though, right?” is all I had asked him. “She's alright”… “Head injuries”… “Nothing to worry about”… “Has lost her memory”… “Been unconscious” I remember only bits and pieces of the conversation I had with my father. I was having three conversations simultaneously. With my father, with God, and with myself. And I wasn’t paying attention to any of them.

“Empathy is the quality of character that can change the world.”3 And I strongly believe that to cultivate empathy, one has to be in dire straits first hand to experience its intricacies and understand its multidimensionality on a deeper level.

The hospital was one of the most reputed ones in the city, which only made it scarier. Ambulances kept pulling up into the Emergency wing of the hospital every now and then, and my mother was unfortunately kept in the ICU right next to it.

My fear was getting the best of me and I had a very grotesque imagination for a 7 year old, which helped me in a way. I wanted to ask my father “How much blood came?” When I finally saw my mom, I was relieved. She was awake, clean and whole because the doctors and nurses did a great job.

And she was relieved to see me because fear was getting the best of her too. She thought I was sitting behind her in the two-wheeler when the accident had occurred, and that they were hiding my body away from her till her recovery. One thing I had learnt that day was that there was no age limit for crazy imaginations.

I was exposed to situations which not many children are exposed to which made me think of other children in my class who had it worse. Some had lost their parents to illness and others to unfortunate circumstances.

Amrit didn't have a father which let him get away with his bratty behaviour, Shubham Sharma was a sweetheart whose father had died of a heart attack leading him to discontinue school altogether and move to his hometown. I was left to wonder if it was just me and my father now.

Years down the line, I realise how that one accident would've taught so many things to so many people. While my mother was lying knocked unconscious on the road, a stranger offered to take her to the hospital in his car. We don't know where he is now, he doesn't know where we are.

But I'm sure carrying an unknown injured lady who had awful amount of blood oozing out of her helmet wouldn’t have been an ordinary experience for him. In that huge crowd which was gathered at the place of the accident, there must've been someone who would’ve fought with his wife that morning before leaving for work, someone who would’ve thought speeding and driving dangerous was “cool”, someone who would've cursed their life or taken it for granted, or someone who had lost faith in humanity.

And this spectacle would've made them realise the fragile nature of life and witnessing a human being helping another would've shown them the strength of a helping hand andgiven them the reassurance that there was some hope in this world after all. My father, who was so accustomed to hiding his emotions was failing miserably in his attempts at acting strong. And that was the day I knew he loved my mother and my mother was surprised to discover that too.

It's a puzzling thing to think about, how something unpleasant is required to force the pleasant things out of somebody. It's like how they say, only when you're exposed to difficulty in life will you be in a position to move towards something greater. The whole thing about gold getting purified in furnace and diamonds being formed under pressure which we've all grown up listening to is sort of true.

The 7 year old me prayed to God, “You can’t take away mummy from me yet, I'm not giving her yet”. Fast forward to last year when my father met with a brutal accident, we got a phone call from a stranger asking us to reach this hospital near my home because my father was kept there. I felt fear and pain gripping me like someone pouring acid down my neck.

The 20 year old me prayed the same old prayer “you can't take away papa…” paused, thought for a few seconds and said “give me strength”. I saw life as it was because it wasn’t a battle with God anymore. It wasn’t me claiming my rights.

It was me letting go of things which were beyond my control and letting it mould me in a way which was the most ideal for me to function in a family and in a society. Life is about accepting and letting go.

We are faced with so many challenges in our day to day lives. Most of them are not as intense and hence we don't categorise the little mistakes and mishaps as “accidents”. They don't leave us shattered or turn our world upside down. But when it happens, we end up seeing things which we didn't know existed and feel things which can never be put into words by language.

One sudden brake by a random bus driver is all it takes to teach a 7 year old lessons about mortality, love and loss.

The idea of “Butterfly Effect” under the Chaos Theory states that the smallest of changes in a system can result in very large differences in that system’s behaviour.4  This gives me all the more reasons to be careful even in the little things I do.

So if I lose control of my temper and end up shoving my fist into someone, it is possible that the ripples created by my impact would end up coming back to me multiplied a thousand times in the form of a speeding train. Maybe it's an exaggeration but it can be viewed as a magnified version of the concept of “karma”.

What goes around comes around. Nothing wrong in believing in it, especially if it makes you a better human being. We will thus know that everything happens for a reason and maybe this is what the world is based on.

Many a times, we tend to accuse God and denounce his existence because of these accidents which take place in our lives. Sometimes we end up in unpleasant situations so we say, “if God was real, he wouldn't have let this happen”.

Now I'm not going into trying to prove whether God is real or not, but what I would like to focus on is our attitude. Imagine a world where no accidents took place, where everything went according to your plan without any deviations. First of all, that would be impossible because our plans would be overlapping or contradicting with each other's.

Then who would decide whose plan is to be carried out? We would probably have reservations on the basis of caste, gender and age even for that to figure who should be “living the life”. It's scary to think how chaotic the world would've been in that case. At least now the accidents which occur are uniform - they happen to everybody. Equality.

Secondly, we wouldn’t have met some lovely people in our lives if things had gone according to our plans. We falter, our plans don't work out and we end up meeting each other “accidentally”.

We end up achieving great things, learning new skills, experiencing new feelings, all under “accidents”. But the thing which differentiates the good accidents from the bad ones is just our perception. We call the negative ones “accidents” and the positive ones “luck” or “chance”. The best part about life is, we never know.

An accident may be a blessing in disguise, and your luck may bring you to ruins. Since we can't comprehend which is which, it is better to not stamp anything as anything.

Treating life as a collection of experiences which bring us opportunities to learn would aid in coping with the most heartbreaking events as well as the most blissful ones, and the gap between these two will slowly reduce.

The reason behind everything in this world bearing the quality of being ephemeral is the plain truth that human life itself is not permanent. We attachmortalmeanings to things because we look for ourselves in everything we see.

In one of my favourite poems, the poet writes

The art of losing isn't hard to master;
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.”5

No person can point to something or somebody and say that it will remain and stand the test of time.We know this truth but somehow hesitate to accept it. But when we do, it will only be liberating because we tend to let fear cage us within our own minds and strike us blind towards rationality.

Four years ago, it was revealed to me that one of my family members (whom I choose not to reveal) was suffering from a chronic illness. I realised then that my support system consisted only of my immediate family. My priorities were clear within the blink of an eye.

I made a pact with God and asked him something so specific that it's absurd. I asked him to keep my dog alive for the next 10 years, my father the next 20 years and my mother the next 30 years. A part of me likes to believe he showed me a thumbs up and a part of me thinks he was shaking his head in disbelief.

It is interesting to see how we try to get everything under our control, try to get hold of all the strings and keep everybody under our thumb - so much that we’d even want to decide when somebody dies, according to our convenience. There are certain things we will never be prepared for and this is when the doors of our minds will be thrown open to new wisdom and understanding.

What we studied in 11th grade under LeChatelier's principle can be applied not only to chemical systems but to the functioning of the entire world. It states that when a system experiences a disturbance, it will respond to restore a new equilibrium state.6 In simple terms, it means that all things are perfectly balanced and in the event of any disturbance, everything will work towards the restoration of that balance.

The world is a big chemical system in itself so the law holds relevance to the processes which take place continuallyto attain a holistic stability. This can be seen even in the physical world as stated by Newton’s third law.7

It is clear that no system in this world, natural or artificial, moves in a linear fashion. There are many networks designed to absorb the impact created by malfunctions (or the “accidents”) and regain a functional state.Nature has its own way of controlling damage. We've all seen our injuries getting healed. Our wounds close, our sadness fades away and spring comes again.

And just like that, my mother was discharged from the hospital after what felt like ages. The stitches on her forehead were visible after the bandages were removed. She touched her wound gently as I saw her looking at herself in the mirror which was placed in a corner of our house, above the wash basin.

She stood there smiling to herself, I felt like the child of a warrior. She firmly believes that God gave her a second chance at life so she must give others a second chance too. She paused and took her helmet up to put it under the running water.

I hopped towards her to see, she squeezed the spongy foam inside the helmet and out came oodles of blood gushing, and I was waiting for her to react like how anyone with PTSD would. But she just calmly said “look, so much blood came… and that's not even all of it” and continued to smile and wash her helmet which was now clean and put out to dry in the April sunlight.

Date of the accident: 19th March, 2006.

References
1 Bob Ross
2Oxford Dictionary
3Barack Obama
4Butterfly Effect
5 One Art by Elizabeth Bishop
6 LeChatelier’s Principle
7Newton’s Third Law of Motion

II MA Crit. Theory