Thursday, March 19, 2020

On Happiness

Personal Essay - On Happiness
By Sudesh Prabhakaran
Registration Number: 1901712006047
Paper: Romantic Age CA III Assignment

On Happiness

I was one of the best rats: Physically, Intellectually and of sound breeding too. What happened to me from whom much was expected of? The pit stop of the rat race changed me for good.

We, human beings as a species, are condemned to be in a state of perpetual pursuit of happiness. The pursuit is never ending and evolving to newer and higher summits upon having achieved the  objective.To be forever moving forward.Thus, the direction which we are headed towards ought to be considered a step in advancement, which therein begs the question, ‘What is success?’.

When we consider how we have evolved, I expect procreation and social standing ranked high among our pursuits. Hence, our view of what is important in life and ensuing pursuits follow a rather primitive existence.

The event which shook my sense of self was my bout of depression which led to not one but two failed attempts at suicide. I was the one of the above average ones. In everything. I mean everything. I was actually a jack of all trades and barely an expert in any. My HR Manager Dad had some sound advice to share which I lapped up with all vigour and enthusiasm. “Doesn’t matter what you study”, he said. “What matters is where you study!”, he added. I knew it from before. He had said it several times earlier to get me motivated to get into a college which would not bring shame or disinterest from family and friends. Somehow, I managed to get into the best Law college of the country. They were all ecstatic. I was headed to NLSIU, Bangalore and my brother was going to one of the IIMs!

It came all crashing not in a sudden whalop but over incremental stages over the succeeding months and even years. I was nowhere near the competency of my classmates and they let me know too. Hell, my junior became my classmates. My classmate became my lecturer. Yes, I was there for so long that I was a part of the furniture. “I had become institutionalised”, I thought nonchalantly to myself. It didn't bother me much.

Surprising? Yes, because I had an identity for myself. That of an elite sportsperson who could play Basketball, football, volleyball and represented and won medals in athletics in the college meets too, which was a source of immense sense of pride until the ill fated day when the world came crashing down. Despite me having flunked over 4 years, the juniors respected me. Acknowledged the value of my presence in college. 

All that changed when I made a pass at a junior. She laughed. She literally laughed at me asking her out.  She made it known to her friends. Her friends told everybody else. From being seen as a respected senior, I was the butt of all jokes in class. I shamed myself away from class. I was in denial of the ridicule directed at me. “They don’t mean it surely!”, I consoled myself. How could they make fun of such a sensitive issue? They could and they did. Exams were nearing. My state of mind crumbled. I woke up at the hospital with my mom next to me. My parents were as understanding as could be expected of them. They assumed I had enough for the college and left me to wonder what life had in store for me.

I was no longer content being assessed by the parameters which I failed miserably to achieve, there was a realisation that I could live a life of my own making, not bound by the rules which seemed ‘universal’. Left to decide my course of education, I was a 26 year old college dropout whose sense of world was warped where the evils were exaggerated and cynicism reigned supreme. When I thought of what actually made me happy, it came upon as an epiphany that my needs were limited, and the world was indeed by oyster.

The aspect which I wish to highlight is the fact that I was completely free of all the expectations and societal pressures of adequacy and normalcy. I felt I didn't care what the world thought of me. I was open to options and could seriously consider them which others would have shunned as it would be too simple and too embarrassing to admit in public what the they did for a living. I too dreaded the question, “so, what do you do?” I was comfortable with earning a living doing whatever I could but I was living with my parents and was bound to the identity and was an unwilling party to being associated with a family which was much more successful by the regular parameters.

Looking back, I was not comfortable being seen as an underachiever. How others thought of me still mattered despite me claiming the opposite. When I was not feeling like the failure of the family, I protected myself from the reality, consoling myself, “ I was better than the rest”. Because I managed to inflate my own ego and claim that the parameters of success were ridiculously flawed. I developed an air of self importance and snobbery as I looked down upon other ‘rats’. How ‘woke’ was i! I had the answer to the world’s problems. If only they could listen. And learn! I had so much to teach the world with my experiences and incomparable insights.

Whether I was a rat or not, I was still running a race which I failed to notice. The realisation came when my fragile ego was tested. I realised that I’m not impervious to the worldly stimuli but in fact more exposed than most due my earlier trial with depression. The sense that I was better than the rest permeated through and I was looking for opportunities to let people know who the boss was. Always looking to show and demonstrate how capable I was. Still the same kid who had written “I Quit” before I swallowed around 90 pills; always running away from the fight. My response by then was always flight over fight.

I was always arguing and convincing myself that I was better than the rest because these people are pursuing a life without any meaning. Accumulation wealth, procreating, getting entertained, passing away without even attempting to challenge themselves. I thought I knew better than to live a life - comforted, protected, loved barely testing the limits of one’s life nor experiencing what the world has to offer. “The random family person is wasting away their life”, I used to think to myself. What’s the point in such existence? Do they suck the marrow out of their life? Or drone along like zombies towards the inevitable.

To quash the ego is possibly the single most important challenge in my mind a human being could attempt and possibly the hardest. I have learnt that being immune to external stimuli is extremely difficult as our sense of self and misguided notions of morality often urge us to act as a habit rather than a thought out meticulously strategised course of decisions. Is marriage to test the limits of one’s ego? Or does one get entangled with the identity and the ensuing responsibilities, thereby limiting one's freedom imposing limitations on what life has to offer?

For the longest time, I convinced myself that being egoless is to abandon feelings of empathy, to be immune from being triggered, one has to reason themselves and convince themselves of the will of god or justify it through morals and virtues despite the lack there of. It’s difficult for me to assume god’s existence without any proof of it. Morality fails too as there are situations when one could never defend the actions of the perpetrator. So, how does an atheist make sense of a world seemingly full of gloom and horror.

Through humility.

Humility is arguable the single most crucial quality to rid oneself of the ego and the other personality attributes it entails - good or bad. Irrespective of what utility the virtues, attributes which the HR personnel love to use is seen to have, it has an unquestionable effect on our sense of self and how we wish the world to see us as. Through humility, the constructs of identity can be pulled down, brick by brick.

Humility also allows to accept that we simply do not know, what the purpose of life is. It could be basically whatever one wants it to be. To me, there needn’t be any purpose at all. It’s the process which matters. The journey and not the destination. I could live a life completely mindful and appreciative of what little blessings I have in life and to be able to look at aspects in my life like a dog would;  to be ever appreciative of all things big or small and always passionate towards life. What zest dogs have! I’d even argue to replace religion to just watch how dogs go about their lives. They are our spiritual masters in a way.

The complication arises when the deconstruction of identity intrudes into what love with the opposite sex necessarily ushers in. Such a complicated exercise it is to convey ‘love’ as I mean it. If I call it sensual love, it has another connotation, definitely not ‘sexual love’ too.

Anyway, going back to the trail of thought- With a lack of identity, how does one identify as a loved one of another. Is the love universal? A spiritual kind of love? To my mind, the answer to this question echoes as the answer to various other question relating to humility. How can a teacher be humble? How can a parent? To what extent? To be completely humble, as an ideal is what is being discussed here.

The religious gurus are thus by definition not humble as they find their knowledge on the matter substantial and sufficient enough or more than what others possess to consider it worth their while and what is possibly worse, worth the time of others to share their knowledge.

To my mind, humility is a spiritual experience, and celebrated in solitude at first. When one claims that there is knowledge enough to be shared, the individual assumes self importance thus. It is by the very act of sharing that one assumes self-knowledge.

As a parent, one cannot afford for the offspring to be let lose, unsupervised. How does humility factor in thus? According to me, caring for and being responsible for an offspring is as arduous as it could be enriching. It is too complicated for an introspective soul like mine. Until recently, even marriage was not an option as I felt it restricted me, limited the scope of opportunities and experiences which I felt the world has to offer. It dawned on me that love itself is an experience which ought to be committed to body and soul. If experience is the crucial gauge to test ‘a worthy life’ against, is there a more complicated challenge than there is with respect to love?

Managing competing interests of several complicated individuals. Managing care and expectations.

Love for a spiritual individual is a terribly tedious concept. Every aspect could be over analysed, the issues magnified. Could one by humble in love? I suppose there is a balance where one is expressing individual care and affection as opposed to the entire world but is still immune to what the identity imposes. Expectations have to be made clear as to what the priorities are likely to be in the future. The thumb rule with regard to marriage is to check whether the individual would be better off after the marriage across various metrics - freedom - financially, socially, politically. Lesser range of responsibilities being most important.

As counter intuitive as it may sound, being humble would mean that there is no prior process thought out, no clear decisions already made and paths constructed to be taken to avail of whatever is important to the concerned individual. Being still and patient. Unmindful of externalities but at the same time being mindful of what the thoughts are and what the impending reaction is bound to be. This immunity to externalities will pose an intriguing question - how does one commit in a marriage if immunity and freedom in its most ideal sense is sought?

The answer is that love is universal. When we can channelise the concern towards the individual, but at the same time be open to the possibility that the significant other is a completely different individual alien to one’s own thoughts, emotions and priorities, the freedom to be not fixated on their actions resulting in disappointments is to be strived for. Like a never ending river of love. Flowing wherever gravity pulls.

Taoism has immense significance for any significantly intelligent life form. The philosophy of religion is often lost at the hands of ritualised belief systems. Organised religions are obsolete often limiting the scope of ones’ critical faculties restricting them to mere puppets. Though the impact in helping cope psychologically can't be ignored, the spiritual endeavour to my mind is far beyond what organised religion can offer; as by definition, organised religions fixate on ‘identity’ which ought to be done away with.

Another issue which often tests my patience, resulting in my losing control and composure is when I attach importance to material objects and expect certain behaviour patterns from people who are neither important nor close to me. We are often found to be losing our blissful state of mind over road rage, lack of civic sense or manners all which are neither uniform nor all practical.

One cannot expect the world to be in adherence with the individual’s view of it. We seldom realise this rather obvious phenomenon. To be at peace, we necessarily can’t attach any value to how the society or the world works. In fact, it is unnecessary to use labels to the world or to generalise it. Political correctness has become a rage and it’s not too radical to expect that labels of all sorts could be done away with. Where the individual is associated with the group and the qualities are wrongfully attributed. The sensitivity could lead to an era where the individual is what he is or she or it is. And not what the society wants it to be. Even languages itself will have to adapt to allow for over coming the habitual errors in incorrect attribution of the individual to the group.

Labels by definition doesn’t work as we are all transitory and the elements of possibilities are endless to claim anything about ourselves, much less of others.

The era of isms ending is a welcome change though the social media of 21st century makes it impossible for the generations to be individuals. As a social being, we need and yearn to be respected and identified with the group and thus it is a complicated exercise which very few can endeavour.

Criticisms can be laid against the Philosophy which shuns social groups. But the society is increasingly becoming more safer for individuals to exist without social safety nets and other perks which groups offer is becoming increasingly redundant. However, it does not answer the question as to how a family operates under the system as the delicate venture of raising an offspring is beyond my comprehension admittedly. A risk too far, it seems to me at this point in time in my life.

To shun the processes, in thoughts, in habits and in action. To be still and patient.

THE END

II MA Crit. Theory