Wednesday, March 18, 2020

The Malaise of Caste in the Social Fabric

Preetha. B
I MA English
Reg No: 1901712006023
Paper: Romantic Age

I was just a mere three years old, when I had the fascination to go towards the grand old man of our village to get the mark of valour. Regretting for the pain that I by myself incurred it on me, and to my beautiful hand for a while, I had never felt insane for the act then.

But now it’s really shocking to know how seriously a village and its people irrespective of the age, can be driven by superstitious beliefs.

Thinking that I had all the symptoms of Jaundice in me, my family took me to the elderly man who is known for his methods to cure any sort of illness and diseases. Without any knowledge I acknowledged to open up my fingers where the Hot rod was placed and was pulled with a rapid speed. The rod made a deep mark in my hand which made one of my fingers almost to cut off from my hand leaving all other its companion fingers.

However proper medical practitioners safeguarded me from not losing the finger from my hand. The logic that was put forth for such a practice is that if a iron rod is placed on the hand with full heat that would create a swelling which will swell the part so that the fluid of the jaundice would come out later if at all it is present within it.

Later with the help of science I realised that any such a swelling will release a fluid called Pus only to indicate its suppression in the upcoming days.There is still a pride in me, not of the mark of superstition but because of the fact I am the last one who had been treated in this manner for having the symptoms of Jaundice not because that the evils of Superstitions died but because the Old Man who does the practice died by then.

This makes me to understand very clearly that despite the cruel nature of the practices still they continue to exist due to the sanctity that they derive from the traditions and superstitions. Being a victim for the practices of superstitions at a very small age, in my childhood, I could only by now question what was the level of ignorance of the people who had followed these practices with no doubt and question and almost of no confidence to raise their questions. This is a case of complete ignorance and irrationality of the surroundings that I grew up had.

Of late, during my starting phases of teenage, I came about listening to my uncle, who introduced me to the name of Ambedkar and other similar ideologues.

However, I learnt something new and fresh from my uncle to understand the society, what my textbooks had never did to me. And only after that my perspective of understanding the way society works and the under-currents lying in treating same people differently lies beneath was changed. People are the same everywhere, but the way they are treated is not the same everywhere!

The social impression of caste was made obvious when an old lady of the nearby village, sought the help of my dad, who was once a village Panchayat Leader, to receive her monthly old age pension given by the government. She never takes water from our home. This is a clear form of practicing untouchability which our schoolbooks said was completely abolished and forbidden.

But despite the efforts to abolish it, still untouchability survives in a manner of choice. It could be argued that the lady was not interested in drinking water at our home as it is based on her choices to opt or not but it’s the social stigma and her prejudiced mindset which was also shaped by the very same society that we live in, which had made her not to choose to drink water from our homes despite we, being capable enough to move into a better economic strata.

In short, the economic mobility, the education, the offices are not taken into consideration because they always feel that the idea of social hierarchy exists almost everywhere, in which we are always placed at the lower level.

This is another example that clearly made me to understand that the ignorance of the people keeps them in a dormant condition and to maintain the social stigmas as well. It’s not the granny’s fault for being ignorant and for practicing all these sorts of discriminations but rather it’s the pressure of the society upon which made her to stay comfort in the sphere, not even recognising her ignorance as well. She is also a victim of the social oppression on her. This is another sort of oppression upon the gender that I see.

This now makes me relate with two different forms of oppression upon women which had the potentiality to affect me, very deeply and intensively. It’s of two dimensions – The gender oppression on women and the gender oppression on Dalit women. I will emphasize why such a division is present, in short. I feel that the women specifically of the oppressed caste will have to fight their own battles to seek justice than other women.

Firstly, gender oppression to me is not just a myth but a practice that I often encountered with live examples. As soon as I completed my 12th standard of education, I could observe that girls of my age getting married by then. Though it’s not much different or occasional at my village still the marriages of my very own batch girls made me realize that how our society takes away the dreams of girls.

Marriages of my peer-aged girls are made in the name of economical conditions, for a better living, as a duty of the parents, as a duty of the community as a whole. But however, I am grateful to my family that despite these same pressures they ensure me to decide upon my own regarding my life and choices. To me, Education is the best tool that you could give for your children so that they can shape their own life and career. These marriages which make your children to drop their education and their dreams are not just a bane, but rather an impediment in itself.

On the other hand, I am deeply affected by hearing the cases of how women are oppressed in various levels of our society. For example, in Rajasthan recently women of a particular hostel were checked whether they are menstruating or not, therefore to keep them isolated, preventive of causing any other sins, which is another form of untouchability. Being a hosteller, this deeply affected me.

Women are oppressed just because they are women. The various forms of oppression such as molestation, harassments, abuses on children, rapes are still another personally affecting factors to me. It is general and same for all of us. But there is something else that deeply affects me is that the nature of how these issues are meted out and resolved and the role of caste even in the oppression of women. It’s again terrible to understand that why the cases relating to the rapes of Dalit women are not solved quickly like how the Nirbhaya or Priyanka Reddy cases were solved. If it is only about the modesty of the women why is the standard not the same for all women.

For example, the case of Roja which simultaneously occurred during the times of Priyanka Reddy case is not moved any further. It’s not only about the legal system and police but the focus of media is also not always the same in covering the same kind of issues. They only do address that the victim was a Dalit but not more than that. This question terribly haunts me whenever I come across a news that’s about a rape and all other several questions relating to women safety and of children’s safety comes in random to the mind which we are facing only through a small smile as we have no answers to these questions.

The introduction of literature to me in my initial days of Under graduation at college, is another beacon light that helps me to know the various shades of the society that I have never heard or seen before. Literature, in this sense I would like to include not only fictions, poetry but also movies.

The book called, GOD OF SMALL THINGS by Arundhati Roy, which speaks about the life and feelings of the siblings who were separated at a younger age goes on cover different aspects relating to the caste system, colonised stories, industrial community and many more. This book evidently brought within me the change and the desire to read many books as well.

Though I was not able to capture the entire concepts involved in the story called Animal Farm by George Orwell it however made me to read fictional stories from completely different perspectives leading to read even different academic disciplines. Movies, which are also a different form of literature is much capable of shaping an individual’s life and mind.

One such a movie that made me understand the complexities of the society and the role of police in solving these complications was from the movie called Article 15 which was based on a true story, where a couple of young girls were raped and hanged by the upper caste men in Uttar Pradesh, a case that happened right after the times of Nirbhaya’s death. This movie focussed on the idea of banning discrimination but however even after the movie released and become a hit same such sort of incidents continued to happen in the very next days.

Another movie which made me to like the skills of photography and cinematography is Pariyerum Perumal B.A.B.L, which apart from the movie story and direction conveyed various kinds of ideologies needed for the sensitivity of the story that it required. The last frame of the movie depicted the history of oppression, the causes and the leaders who brought in the reforms and the idea of equality in a single shot with no dialogues to narrate all these. This made me to change the point of view of seeing movies and to look beneath the story line and then the characters upon whom the story revolves or lives. This also motivated me to read and listen to the makings of these stories which are highly rich in the subtleties.

Another significant factor that affects me, is that the people who we see often but we won’t speak to them and also take them for granted. That’s the people who are engaged in Manual scavenging. We all accept on the point to sympathise for the people who are involved in the manual scavenging jobs from collecting garbage to entering into man-holes. But we never go in person and speak or interact with them.

I am also a part of the society who never interacted with these labourers but has the concern over them and to feel pity of them. Maybe, I am not aware of what stops me from interacting with them: is that the same social stigma or prejudices or what is the next big question that I am always concerned about!

Apart from these questions that come within me, I am always concerned about being looked down by others for the language that I use for communication. Maybe not the language itself but the level of knowledge that I have in the language. In short, I am afraid of being judged for the simple English that I speak.

This problem has been a factor that I personally feel which makes me feel inferior and silent before others. This is all about being judged, feeling less confident and covering up my own personality and turning out to be silent and calm just to adjust the inferiority that’s promoted within me. These are the various factors that have affected me at the personal level and has enhanced or changed my view of understanding the outside world apart from me.

II MA Crit. Theory